Friday, May 17, 2013

 
I dreamed a dystopia. Last night (or, more accurately, this morning; I went to bed at 3:30am) I had a dream about a dystopian society where people exist in some facility that they believe is 'heaven'. In their minds, they're living all their dreams, whatever those may be – living a hedonistic life in unbelievable luxury; succeeding professionally; being adored by others.

But in real life, they're packed together at close quarters, living in unbelievable squalor, hardly interacting at all. In my dream, I'd been unfairly condemned to death for a crime that, yeah, okay, I committed, but I was forced to out of desperation and persecution, and it was made to seem malicious rather than self-defensive. But my punishment wasn't death – it was to be locked up in this facility but to see what it was really like.

You know, corny shit like: I imagine I'm lying on a giant soft bed with luxurious sheets overlooking a tropical beach… and then I realise I'm actually lying on a sack of straw in the corner of a noisome shed!

And when I tried to tell other people, they dreamily listened to my rants and then smiled and said, "But it's so wonderful here. It really is heaven."

I'm uncertain whether this was some sort of Logan's Run situation where people in the wider society were told they were 'dying' but then actually being locked up in this giant prison, or what the purpose of it all was.

It made a lot more sense when I had just woken up, as if it would make a really great sci-fi movie, but now it seems kind of silly. I realise this is basically The Matrix meets Fortress but you can't expect dreams to be original.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter