Saturday, October 08, 2005

 
Car crash this morning. Remember how a while ago, I said that my biggest fear when driving was damaging another car? Well basically, I am screwed. I started sobbing uncontrollably on the phone to the RACV because they told me my insurance had run out in May. Of course because I had freshly been made 'freelance' at the time, I didn't have enough money to renew it. I was sobbing outside an expensive boutique, and the well-preserved shop assistant ushered me in and made me a cup of coffee while I went through the ridiculous motions of putting in a claim that probably won't be accepted.

I didn't even look at the damage to the other car because I was so aghast at the damage to my own bomb (the value of which I looked up on the internet and it isn't even worth $3000. Panel beating is going to cost at least that, plus the cost of fixing the fucked-up suspension). I am going to argue it out with the RACV on Monday morning, but I don't hold out much hope that they will be sympathetic. And the other woman's insurance company will go after me like a pack of rabid attack dogs. So I don't even have third-party insurance and am going to be made to pay thousands of dollars in repairs to my and someone else's car, and all the while I am 'freelance' which was only going to last for another couple of months and then I would be living off my credit card.

So I am going to have to get a crappy job as a temp or in a call centre or some equally soul-destroying place. But it will have to be in the city or inner suburbs because I will have no car to drive anywhere else. Incidentally, at the moment of impact I had been thinking of Crash by JG Ballard. I read that book recently and it had a real, ahem, impact on me.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter