Tuesday, January 11, 2005

 
Terror, yo, on your stereo. Heh. I gotta use that line in some future Incredible Melk freestyle. But anyway. The other day I was talking to Marty, who is making an unofficial list of pop songs with stalker meanings. As you'll all realise, there are few things I like more than lists of stuff (oh yeah, the Headtapes will soon be back!). Marty's key example is "She Will Be Loved" by Maroon 5, which he claims has a creepy inevitability - she won't be able to get away, she will be loved!

I added some obvious paranoiac examples like the Police's "Every Breath You Take" and Hall & Oates' "Private Eyes" ("they're watching you/they see your every move"). And then there's "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc, which is, it occurred to me a couple of years ago in a blinding flash, a song about date rape drugs:
This brother told me a secret on how to get more chicks
Put a little medina in their glass and the girls'll come real quick
It's better than any alcohol or aphrodisiac
A couple of sips of this love potion and she'll be on your lap

But then just today I thought of another great one: "Get Outta My Dreams, Get Into My Car" by Billy Ocean. I don't know about your mum, but mine warned me about stranger danger.

I have recently rediscovered an old cassette called "Smash Hits '88" which has this song on it, along with countless other gems. All killer, no filler! Except perhaps the Mel & Kim song, which can perhaps be forgiven as Mel was fighting liver cancer at the time (unsuccessfully, it turned out. Cruel capricious cancer - you took Mel, but left Delta!).

SIDE 1:

I OWE YOU NOTHING by Bros
LOVE IN THE FIRST DEGREE by Bananarama
WANNA BE UP by Chantoozies
SIGN YOUR NAME by Terence Trent D'Arby
GOT TO BE CERTAIN by Kylie Minogue
GET OUTTA MY DREAMS, GET INTO MY CAR by Billy Ocean
HAZY SHADE OF WINTER by Bangles
DOCK OF THE BAY by Michael Bolton
THAT'S THE WAY IT IS by Mel and Kim

SIDE 2:

NOTHIN' BUT A GOOD TIME by Poison
RUN TO PARADISE by Choirboys
TOO MUCH AIN'T ENOUGH LOVE by Jimmy Barnes
BREAKAWAY by Big Pig
The FLAME by Cheap Trick
The ONLY WAY IS UP by Yazz and the Plastic Population
DOCTORIN' THE TARDIS by The Timelords
PERFECT by Fairground Attraction


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Site Meter